Thursday, March 6, 2008

A Visit from Granny or "Gwanny" as Ella Calls Her

Ella Grace loves my mom. I think they have a special bond because my mom helped me so much with her (and Evan, too) while Derek was deployed to Iraq. Before Derek got home, my mom and I were the only caregivers she knew. Even now, she often asks for my mom. All of the grandchildren call my mom, "Granny." Today, Ella Grace kept saying, "Gwanny," so I called my mom and asked if she could swing by. Of course she came right over and Ella was delighted. They played and played. It warms my heart to watch my mom with my children. I think to myself this is probably how she played with me and my sisters when we were babies. She was the best mom. I hope Evan and Ella Grace feel that way about me one day.


Ella Grace and her Gwanny.




This is a little thing they do where they cover their mouths while they giggle. It's so cute!


I have to mention a few other cute things the kids did this week. One of Evan's teachers told me this afternoon that Evan looked her straight in the face and said, "You're pretty." He has never, ever said anything like that to anyone. He has, however, always loved blonds and this teacher is blond and also beautiful. I guess he just has good taste. His teacher was so funny and said, "I think he just knew I needed that today." I think he was just being honest. He loves Mrs. Stacy so much! Another funny thing...While taking Ella to Kroger and Target this week, every gray haired woman we saw, she would announce "GiGi" and wave. GiGi his her great-grandmother. It's sweet that Ella associates all old women with GiGi, but I sometimes am a little embarressed when she is calling them to look at her and saying it so loudly. They might be offended if they are not a GiGi themselves. However, our real GiGi gets a kick out of it when I tell her, "We saw lots of GiGi's today." It is really, really funny and cute! She has also started asking what things are. She says it really fast and asks as if it is one word, "Whatisat?" Oh, how I love my children and things they say and do!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I don't know who is cuter in these pictures - Ella or your mom? :-)

Candy said...

Those pictures are so sweet! I love that she asked for your mom and then she was able to come right over.
That's funny about Evan and the blonds. Ethan is the SAME way. He has had "favorite" girls since 3 year old preschool. He always picks the cute ones too. :) Those boys!

Jill said...

How adorable! I think that all those women would love to have any attention to such a pumpkin head like Ella! I can't believe she is big enough to talk! How is time slipping by so fast?

His Doorkeeper said...

Your Mom and Ella together are a picture of what it means to have a loving relationship! They are so sweet together! Aren't you blessed on both counts?

Meredith said...

That is just the sweetest! Grandparents are the best! I know Evan and Ella just love their grandparents!