Sunday, March 30, 2008

Not So Long Ago

20 years ago on March 29th, the "boy from church" and I had our first date! He was 17 and I was 15. He came over to watch TV at my house. I vividly remember his acid washed jeans, pink and blue plaid shirt and cowboy boots! That's right, ladies!

Saturday night, Derek and I celebrated the 20th anniversary of our first date. He took me to the Butcher's Shop. It was deeeelish. We had steak, baked potatoes, rolls and topped it off with this Heavenly brownie dessert.

Normally this day comes and goes every year without us giving it much thought, but we felt like 20 years was definitely something to celebrate! We had a lovely meal and then headed off to a movie. We went to see Drillbit Taylor. It was cute but not the best movie I have ever seen. If we would have still been 15 and 17, we would have loved it (if that tells you anything)! Ha! It didn't matter though. I was so happy to be out with my wonderful husband and reminiscing about what wonderful things had happened in 20 years!

Here we are before we left for our date.

The best products our of 20 years together...Evan and Ella Grace!


For kicks, here are some pictures from our 20 years together...

I particularly enjoy that I was not ashamed to display my love for Derek with my clothing. Notice the "Leigh Ann & Derek" t-shirt I am wearing and completing the outfit with cutoff jean shorts and teal tennis shoes!

This is the love seat we spent so much time on watching TV. I think we were getting ready to watch King Kong in 3-D.

The first dance we went to together. Gotta love that Saturday Night Fever vibe Derek has goin' on!

At my Senior Prom 1991.

A lovely portrait we had taken at the mall during our college years.

Our engagement party.

The strange thing is, it doesn't seem like it has been 20 years at all! I guess what they say is true. Time flies when you are having fun (and I've loved every minute of it)!

10 comments:

Michele said...

Wow - 20 years!!! Congrats to you two :)

Candy said...

Congratulations!! Thanks for sharing your memories and pics. Very sweet!! :)

Hillary said...

Happy 20 years of dating!! :) I LOVE the air brushed shirt. That made me laugh!

Megan L Hutchings said...

I just love reading about your time together...so sweet!

Megan said...

Awe, how sweet to celebrate your first date. Congrats on 20 years, that's awesome. YOU'RE awesome.

Meredith said...

AWWW how sweet! Wow 20 years! I love your pictures!

Kelly said...

TWENTY YEARS!!!! That's crazy!!!!
I loved the pictures - ya'll are both too cute for words!
I can't believe you had an air brushed shirt with your names on it - that is hilarious!
And I don't remember if I knew you were prom queen 1991!!! I'm not surprised! :-)
I hope you have 50 more wonderful years together!

Jill said...

I am in stitches over the clothes! The story is sweet, but the pictures are PRICELESS! It made me think of some of my fantastic wardrobe choices of the past! Thanks for the smile!

Angela said...

Love this post! Chad and I also had the air brushed Chad Loves Angela/Angela Loves Chad shirts!!

His Doorkeeper said...

Leigh Ann, I'm just now getting around to reading some blogs. This is so sweet. You and Derek are precious together. What a sweet thing to have pictures of you together when you were so young! May God bless you with many more years together! Congratulations and Blessings!