Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Evan's Room (But No Sleeping in it Lately)

We are going through some sleep disturbance at the Horton household. This has been an ongoing issue for several months now. Evan sometimes gets up at 3:00 a.m. and just doesn't want to go back to sleep. He is wide-eyed and bushy tailed. He seems like he just has had enough sleep and no matter how I try, he just wants to play. Well, after one night of playing musical beds (I ended up in Evan's bed and Evan ended up in our bed with Derek), I noticed the moonlight completely came through the blinds in his room and it was pretty light in there. Could this be the underlying culprit? So, the next day I buy drapes thinking that will help. It definitely made the room darker, but for the last two nights, he has been up at 3:00 a.m. again. Then, he wants to take a nap at about 6:00 a.m. when it is time to get up and dress for school. I don't need to tell you how well that goes over when I have to wake him. However, by the time we get to school, he is awake and pretty much over it. Thank goodness. Even though the drapes haven't really helped Evan sleep more, I still like the way the drapes look.

Autism Awareness side note: Children with autism often have trouble sleeping. This has not always been an issue for us, but I'm sure this is connected to Evan's autism. He also receives methyl B12 shots for treatment of his autism, and I'm sure this contributes to a little extra pep in his step as well! :)

Anyway, I thought I would share pictures of Evan's room. I've included a picture of the new look with the drapes. Since his Daddy is a pilot, we thought an aviation themed room was only appropriate!

I love this canvas that is above his bed. My friend, Andrea, painted it for me.

This is as crafty as I get. I painted this canvas blue and then glued on this "E" I ordered from Pottery Barn Kids. I'd love to be crafty, but it's just not in me.

I did actually paint this table and chairs (after I spilled an entire can of oil based blue paint on the kitchen tile of the house we had just sold...yes, I did...and we some how miraculously got it up...typical Leigh Ann-ness). It's not the best paint job in the world, but it works. Evan spends a lot of time at this table. When teachers and therapists come to the house, they work with Evan here. He likes to look at books, watches DVDs, and plays a lot here. Definitely one of the best things we've bought for him.

Now the drapes are installed. I really like how they added to the room when I compare the window in the pictures above.

Pottery Barn has a great tool on their website for tips on how to measure for drapes, rugs, etc. I found that very helpful when choosing the length of these drapes. I wasn't sure if it was okay for them not to hang to the floor, but PB says below the window sill is perfectly fine. I figure they should know, so I guess we're good! :) Project Dining Room Drapes starts this week.

I would love to see pictures of your kids' rooms. I'll try to post some of Ella Grace's later. Please pray for sleep tonight. Mommy's tired!!!

Much love,
Leigh Ann

9 comments:

Meredith said...

Leigh Ann! I love Evan's room! Sorry I haven't blogged in a while, I have been busy! What a cute family ya'll are! Precious!

Candy said...

Aww..I'm so sorry that Evan has not been sleeping well. I hope ya'll all get a good rest tonight. I LOVE his room!! It is so cute! See, I just love curtains now. I want them in every room. They really make a HUGE difference to me. I can't wait to see some pics of sweet Ella's room.

Angela said...

It is so hard when they wake up in the middle of the night. By the way, I LOVE the E with the square and think it is quite crafty. I will probably end up stealing that idea.

Laurie said...

Evan is very cute and so is his room. I LOVE the painting over his bed! I also like the PB bookshelf. We are going through the sleep thing too. I can sympathize.

Megan L Hutchings said...

Bless Your Heart!!!! I love Evan's room and the curtains definitely add a little something =)! We will be praying for a night of easy resting!

pengellylove said...

How funny! I recognized "Art by Andrea" from Moms-N-More at FBC-LR. She also had a booth at Holiday House last year where I bought some things...I didn't know that you were friends...I don't know her but do know of her...small world!

Get some sleep girl! :-)
Melody

Kelly said...

Evan's room is SO cute. Who says you are not creative? I think you are!!!! And I'm sorry he is not sleeping. Laurie is having the same problems with Emily. She doesn't sleep at all and now she won't take naps either. I know ya'll are both very tired. I hope something will change very soon for ya'll!!!

Amy said...

Evan's room is so cute. I love the vintage airplane items. It's also very clean. I'm sure it's like this 100% of the time, right? :) His bookshelf is very neat. I saw one like this in Southern Living about 7 years ago and I've never seen one for sale. Neat way to display and hold books.

I posted pictures of Luke's room last night for you!

Being sleepy is so hard. My eyes will always burn so bad the next day. I will pray this is a very fast phase...

Brittney said...

I love his room! Brooklynn has never been much of a sleeper either. She's slowly getting better, but often goes on nap strikes and wakes up for the day at 5 AM! I did talk to her speech and occupational therapists about autism, and they were very positive that it is not an issue with her. But, she does have quite a few issues with her sensory problems!

Where do you live? I would love to have therapists come to our house--that would make things so much easier!