Saturday, May 24, 2008

It Must Be Nice to be this Loved

Whether Evan wants it or not, he has a constant companion. Ella Grace is everywhere Evan is. She asks for him throughout the day. She says Evan is at "work." I guess she has that confused with where Derek is during the day. :) EG is always very excited when it is time to go get Evan from school. As soon as she sees him on the playground, she says his name, starts to wave, and kind of jumps up and down. I know Evan loves his sister, but he does not share her enthusiasm. :) As soon as we get home, Ella is on Evan heels. He has a little shadow the rest of the night. She giggles with delight if she thinks he is chasing her (he usually is just walking behind her but she thinks it is a game). Sometimes, I think Evan just wants her to leave him alone. The other day he was trying to play on the computer and I guess she was in his way. He had closed the door to the office, and she was trying to open it to join him. When she got the door a little open, he said, in a little high pitched baby voice, "Watch your fingers." It was sweet (even though he was trying to keep her out...ha!). While I was pregnant with Ella Grace, I often prayed that she would have a tender heart towards her brother (especially because of his autism), and you know what, I think she does! Ella Grace loves Evan so much, and I know she will always make a big difference in his life (as he will make in hers).

I took this picture this week while we were getting ready for school. Evan was quietly playing with some toys, and Ella sat down right beside him, had her hand on his back, and said, "Awwwww."
Such sweet times!

12 comments:

Meagan said...

Seriously, so sweet! I love every story about your sweet children and I so enjoy getting to know you through your perception of your sweet babies and your kind heart as a mommy!

Amy said...

I love how Evan's left soft has the heel on the top of his foot. :)

You know I'm a speech therapist...when you were writing so much last month about it being National Autism Month, I kept wanting to write. But it's so hard to jot something down in a comment box about autism. I can only tell you that I wish every child I've ever worked with had parents like you and Derek. I cannot tell you how much I admire your research, hard work and love. It's overwhelming when you think about new ideas, approaches, theories, etc. As a parent, I can't even imagine the frustration on your part when you don't know exactly what he wants (and I've never met Evan...I'm just speculating). He seems so lovable and that's only because of what God is doing in his life and because of the three special people He chose to put in Evan's life (and especially his sweet baby sister Ella Grace). I love you guys!

Philippians 3:14!!!!

Amy said...

I meant to say Evan's left SOCK!!! :)

The Garners said...

Oh, this is so sweet to see! I can totally identify because of Alexee's admiration for Rhett--and it melts my heart when they play together or he looks out for her. We just got back from the beach, and I heard R tell one of the other boys there to "be careful not to knock Alxee down because it could bust her head open." I hope he always looks out for her, and I hope she always thinks he's "it"!

Lauren said...

They will love looking back on these stories when they're older, I know. By the way? Would it be totally archaeic if I asked to have an arranged marriage for Dawson and EG? :)

Meredith said...

Aww sweet brother and sister! Sweet picture!

Angela said...

I love that! I'm glad your kiddos are so sweet to each other.

Kelly said...

This is so sweet!
I loved that you prayed that EG would be sensitive to her brother. I have a feeling she will always love him and watch out for him!

Betsy said...

There is nothing sweeter to a mother's heart than seeing her children loving each other!! I know they will always have a special bond!

Laurie said...

That is really sweet that Evan and Ella Grace have that special bond. Your children cannot help but be sweet because you are!

Megan L Hutchings said...

This is so sweet! I love reading about Evan, EG, and your adventures with them ;)!

Lindsey said...

Your children are absolutely adorable:)