Sunday, November 9, 2008

Soup's On

One of the best cooks I know, my sister, Melinda, gave me this recipe a while back for "Cheeseburger Soup." I have been thinking about it since it has been getting colder and I'm planning on making it soon. It is delicious, and I think kids will enjoy it because of the name and moms will like it because their kids will eat vegetables. It is soooo good, and it really does taste like a cheeseburger! Here it is:

Cheeseburger Soup

1/2 lb. ground beef
3/4 C. Chopped onion
3/4 C. shredded carrots
3/4 C. diced celery
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
4 tbsp. butter, divided
3 cups chicken broth
4 cups diced peeled potatoes (1-3/4 lbs.)
1/4 C. all-purpose flour
8 ounces Velveeta, cubed (2 cups)
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 C. sour cream

In 3 qt. saucepan, brown beef; drain and set aside. In same saucepan, saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in tbsp. butter until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add broth, potatoes and beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender. meanwhile, in small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir 3-5 minutes. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Heat on low. Add cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat; blend in sour cream.

In the past, when I have been in a big hurry, I have saved time by buying the veggies already diced in the frozen food section and it still was just as yummy. If you try it, let me know what you think.

I love soup in the Fall! There is nothing better.

15 comments:

Lindsey said...

It's soup season and this one sounds like a keeper! Thanks for sharing and I'm still hoping things are better for you:)

Melissa said...

I am such a soup girl! I love, love, love it! I will try this one for sure! :) Looks delish!

The Garners said...

This sounds great--plan to try it soon! Thanks for sharing. I loooove soup.

Jacquie said...

Yum! I need to print off all these soup recipes and keep my crock pot busy!

Laura said...

Yum!! I can't wait to try this!! Thanks for sharing.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I'm a soup girl, Leigh Ann, and this one sounds delicious! Thanks for the inspiration...I'm working on my meal plans this week!

Lauren said...

This sounds so good! My thighs will probably respond to this better than they do a McDonald's cheeseburger!:)

Megan L Hutchings said...

This sounds divine ;)!

Candy said...

The soup recipe sounds wonderful! I'm about to print it out. I have been craving soup. At my Bible study the other night, a friend was taking about serving at a soup kitchen and I kept telling her to stop saying "SOUP" because I wanted some. She thought it was funny and kept telling me that they don't really serve soup! ha! Can't wait to try this recipe, thanks for sharing! :)

Meredith said...

oooo! That recipe is just great, isn't it! I have been out of "blogland" lately! Internet has been down! Stay warm!

His Doorkeeper said...

With this good soup recipe and also the spaghetti soup recipe that Mer@7000 ft. posted, I am set for cold weather! Thanks!

LOVE YOU A GOOGLE... said...

I will have to try this soup. We love soup in my house and this one sounds really good. :) Thanks for sharing!

Meagan said...

Hey love! That soup sounds really good!! I am going to have to try it for sure!!!!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Hi Leigh Ann!

I'm making your Cheeseburger soup tonight. My family LOVES it. The last few times I've made it I've used frozen diced hashbrowns (because I have an asthma attack if I peel potatoes--it's the weirdest thing) and it makes it super duper easy!

Hope you're well!!!

The Bowden's said...

Oh my! I made this last night and it is yummy! It was a sure hit for my hungry crew. :) Thanks!!