Friday, August 1, 2008

Mrs. Inna

One thing I've learned through our journey with autism is there is ALWAYS something in which to be thankful. I am always thankful when Evan achieves a goal after a lot of hard work, learns a new skill, speaks more words, and the list goes on and on.

There is no question in my mind that God has had His hand on us every step of the way. He has blessed us with a physician that is supportive and respectful of the research and opinions we have (one that doesn't force us into vaccinations that we truly feel are linked to Evan's autism but is willing to listen and help us with an alternate plan). He has provided us with a school that has been great. Evan has had some wonderful teachers, and there is no doubt in my mind that starting him at this school the month before he turned two has made all the difference in his progress. We have been blessed with some amazing therapists, most of which we have become extremely attached (one we even took on vacation with us once after she wasn't his therapist anymore).

Today, I had to say good-bye to one our most favorite therapists Evan has ever had. Mrs. Inna has been Evan's Physical Therapist for about three years. In that time, she has taught him SO much! She taught Evan to ride his tricycle and now almost has him riding his bicycle and so, so much more. Inna even helped us after Ella Grace's broken leg. In no time, she had Ella's leg strong enough for her to start walking.

Inna is so special to us. I wanted to share a little more about her besides the fact that she is an amazing Physical Therapist. Inna is from Russia. She has an accent that I LOVE! One day, we were talking about her family, and I asked her how she met her husband. She told me that he had gone on a mission trip to Russia and she was his interpreter. She said that is how she became a Christian! They kept in touch after his trip, and I guess the rest is history. They now have two beautiful daughters that look just like her.


Inna was so supportive of our family while Derek was deployed. However, in our many conversations about how Derek was doing, she never told me that her own husband was deployed stateside. I didn't find this out until later. After 9/11, her husband joined the Army. He was an attorney and now works for the JAG helping deployed soldiers with their paperwork, which I know since going through our deployment is an extremely important job. He had been gone in another state serving for a year and came home for about two months until he decided to volunteer to help if he was needed. After being apart and not knowing how long her husband will be away, they have decided to move with him so they can be together again as a family. I certainly can't blame her. I would have done the exact same thing. She, however, is leaving behind a church, community and job she loves. I am so sad to see her go.

I went by today to tell her good-bye. Inna is absolutely, without a doubt, one of THE sweetest people I have ever met in my life. Not only did she help E & EG with therapy, she showed them love all the time. She is so kind, patient and caring. She has beautiful blond hair that she continuously grows for "Locks of Love." Countless times I have thanked her for helping my children, and her reply was often, "I am so thankful to God for her progress," never taking the credit herself. She is truly beautiful, both inside and out.

Thank you, Inna! You will always have a special place in our hearts. We will miss you!

18 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

That was so sweet, Leigh Ann. I don't even know her, but here I sit crying.

I know how hard it can be to say good-bye to people you've grown to love. One of my dearest friends is moving this weekend...and, oops, there goes my tear faucet again.

Thanks for sharing.

Kelly said...

She sounds just wonderful! What an amazing person - no wonder you love her.
God puts special people in our lives to help us. I know He will give you more special people to help you with Evan's growth and development!

Anonymous said...

Leigh Ann,
What a sweet post! I'm very sure your therapist will miss you too!

Jill said...

I am so sad that she is leaving! I didn't know... Even though Claire never saw her she was always such a bright spot in the day. She is a beautiful soul and has blessed so many children in her stay at HH!

Jacquie said...

Awwww! What a sweet tribute to your friend. I loved the story about how she met her husband and how she never told you about her husband's deployment. Amazing. Maybe she'll start a blog so you can "see" her often!!

Melissa said...

So wonderful that your family has been blessed by this therapist. Sounds like you will really miss her. God has a plan for Evan and will bring the right new therapist to you again.

His Doorkeeper said...

People like Inna are so special!You and your sweet family have been the recipients of God's love by the way He has used her to minister to you!

Heather said...

I'm like Meredith- I am sitting here crying my eyes out over this. I think I am just overwhelmed with God's goodness at providing for us JUST the right people at JUST the right time.
May God bless Mrs. Inna on her new journey, and continue to bless you and your sweet family!
Love you!

Meagan said...

What a wonderful person and a sweet tribute from you! I am so thankful she has helped Evan and Ella Grace! I will certainly be saying a paryer for her as she adjusts to a new place! Thank you for sharing her with us!

Becky said...

Well, I'm bawling too! Inna sounds so sweet and without a doubt loves your kiddos!

Thank you for the email. I tried it, however, my blog is acting kinda crazy tonight, so I'll try again tomorrow.

Laura said...

Oh Leigh Ann! What a beautiful story of Inna and her husband! I just loved being reminded that God has a plan for all our lives, just like He had a plan when he placed Inna in the lives of all your family. Make sure you keep in touch with her! She sounds like an real special lady!

Meredith said...

Leigh Ann, that was just awesome! She is a beautiful person! And so are you!

Melissa said...

oh my gosh! Our therapist is Ms. Michelle and, honestly, Caroline would bring her home and let her be a part of our family if she could! :)WE LOVE MS. MICHELLE so I totally know where you are coming from!! They have an endless supply of patience and love for kids with special needs. They are truly a God send when you are just grasping at straws for your kid! I am so sorry she's leaving, but the Lord will provide someone else that will just come along side your kids and they won't miss a beat! Thanks for sharing! It helps so much to know that I am not alone!
OH! GIRL! Thanks for the award! We have been out of town, and I was so thankful to come home and see that you had included me. You are too sweet!

Megan L Hutchings said...

That was so sweet LAH! It is so hard to say goodbye to someone who you have grown to love & trust over the years ;)!

There is no doubt in my mind that God blessed your family with Inna!

Love You!

Heather said...

God is so good to bring people into our lives at just the right time. She sounds like an amazing woman. I'll pray for a smooth transition and that your next therapist will be just as wonderful!!

Laurie said...

What a wonderful lady! Steve's parents got it in MS, but there is a kids furniture store in LR that carries them. Also, I have seen them at toy stores.

Lauren said...

So sweet and so sad at the same time. Isn't it amazing to think about how even the worst of situations enable us to meet the best people?

Julie said...

What an amazing person Inna is!!! I loved reading her story. She will be so blessed as she has used her skills to bless others. I think her story of meeting her husband would make a wonderful book!!