Monday, August 18, 2008

Our First Day

First of all, you guys are the best blog friends a girl could EVER ask for. I know you were praying for us, and I truly felt your prayers. I was very calm today...very un-Leigh Ann-like I must admit, and I know it was because you all were lifting me/us up, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

We (Evan and I...ha!) made it through our first day of school. EVAN HAD A GREAT DAY!

I was feeling rather tender this morning while I was getting ready. However, as the morning progressed, I got so busy and I think that was a blessing. I didn't really have time to be sad.

Evan ate his favorite breakfast of waffles (he ate two). I dressed him in his uniform, and he looked SO handsome I could have just eaten him up. He was happy all the way to school, and when we arrived he just walked in his room like such a big guy. He didn't shed one tear! He didn't cling to me. He was ready! He got busy playing right away. I went over to get one last hug and then his teacher was showing him his place at the table, so I slipped out of the room. I did get rather teary once back in the car. Derek told me he was very proud of how well I was doing. I think he expected me to lie face down in the middle of the courtyard crying. Ha! The hardest part of the day for me was actually the waiting to go pick him up and hear about his day. All in all he had a great day. He did have some difficulty in the cafeteria, as he has never been in one before, so he didn't eat much of his lunch, but I know this will get better with time. He loved the playground and did well with his counting and alphabet today. His teachers all seem so sweet and wonderful, and I am truly grateful for that! I am just so proud of my little man. The sweetest part of the day was when he saw me this afternoon. He gave me the biggest hug...arms around my neck and legs around my waist. It was a full body hug. Ha! Oh, I loved it!

My Kindergartener

Evan and his very proud Momma

I love you, Evan, and I'm so proud of you!

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leigh Ann,
Evan looks SO handsome!! I'm so glad that Evan had a great day and you survived it,lol! It's so great to hear that he has such wonderful teachers and had fun playing at school! I was thinking about you today so I'm really happy that it was a good one!

tondays said...

I am sooooooo happy for you (& Evan, and Derek & EG) that it went well. The waiting is always the hardest part, but such a sweet reunion when you pick them up!!! I have been praying for you all day and have been waiting for an update all day! I will keep praying for a great year! LOVE YA & I couldn't be happier!!!!!!

Jacquie said...

Awww, Leigh Ann, you did great! One day you will look back on today and it will be SUCH a sweet, sweet memory for you. I promise. I hope Evan's week is filled with new fun experiences. Love the uniform!

The Garners said...

He does look SO HANDSOME! I'm so glad he had a good first day (and that you survived it, too!) Great picture of the two of you together. How sweet!

LOVE YOU A GOOGLE... said...

That is so awesome! He looks so cute in his uniform! I am so glad you did okay. I was worried about you. I hope the rest of the week, month and year are filled with wonderful things for you and Evan! Love you!

Angela said...

Hi Leigh Ann...sorry I didn't respond to your last post. I couldn't go there. Hayden starts Kindergarten on Friday and I'm having my own issues. I'm so happy to read Evan did well. That makes me feel better about this whole school thing. Thanks for the update!

Candy said...

Leigh Ann,
I have been so anxious to hear how Evan's day went and I'm so thankful that ya'll both had a good day! :)

Kelly said...

I'm glad he did so good! He looks so cute and so do you! I pray this year will be a great one for Evan.

Michelle said...

Visiting from Laurens blog.

And yes , sending your kids to school is so hard. I have 2 boys and it was hard both times. It is harder with the first one I think for some reason.
It is like turning them loose to the world.
Just enjoy all the time you can with them. My first baby graduates this year and my 2nd baby is in
2nd grade. It goes by way to fast.

Cherish the moment!

Megan L Hutchings said...

I am so, so, so proud of you! I thought about you all day yesterday and how I wish I could have just spent the day with you until Evan was finished. I am so glad his day went well and that you held it together a okay. He is going to do so well LAH, I JUST KNOW IT!

Julie said...

Evan is so adorable! I love the picture of the two of you. I'm so glad both of you had a great first day!!

Kara said...

I am so thrilled that Evans 1st day of school went well! Praise the Lord He is so faithful! Before I started home schooling the boys, Jonathan and I (we would take turns) would eat lunch with the boys once a week. They loved it, especially when I bought them a "happy meal". Are the parents allowed to eat w/kids at lunch? This could be a special time for you and Derek each week to spend with Evan. Just a thought.
Evan looks so cute in his uniform. He is just precious. I am praying for you!
In Christ,
Kara - Prov. 31

Faith said...

Awww! I'm so glad to hear that it went well! He looks SO handsome and I know you are beyond proud!

Laura said...

Yeah for Evan! And yeah for Mommie, too!!

Evan is SO cute and I am so glad that you got to experience the same peace I felt last week with my little one! Congrats! You can do this!!

Meagan said...

Yea! I am so proud of you AND of Evan!!!!! Evan is so handsome in his little "uniform" - TOO CUTE! I know it's painful to watch them grow, but it looks like you are raising a fine young man! I hope the rest of his year, and yours, goes as smooth as the first day and even smoother (if that's a word)! :-)

Meagan said...

TAG! Your it, sister! I Tagged you... check out my blog for instructions!

Betsy said...

I have been thinking about you and praying for you and Evan, Leigh Ann!! I am SO glad things went well!!! Yayyy! I know you are relieved that the first day is behind you.

Evan looks so handsome in his uniform. I will keep praying that he has a GREAT year!!!

Anonymous said...

Leigh Ann, What a beautiful family you all are!! I am so behind the times with all the blog spot and facebooks. April(Shields) just told me about seeing you and Kelly on here so I had to see too! I am so glad Evan had a good day! I know it was hard for you to see him go! You and Derek look just as cute and in love as you did 15 years ago! I have to call you and catch up!
Love you!

Heather said...

So glad to get the report!!! He is precious and I am so thankful everything is going so well!

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

YAY!!! I'm so glad it went well! And I'm glad you liked the poem! :)

Lauren said...

I'm so glad he had a great first day! He is lucky to have a mom like you that cares about him so much.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through Kelly's Korner. I have a little guy that just started Kindergarten a couple weeks ago, so I can relate totally. It's crazy how fast 5 years can fly by! Glad he had a good time!