Friday, May 29, 2009

Things...They are a Changin'

I haven't been a very good blogger lately. To say we are busy, well we just ARE. I always thought things would slow down when Evan got in big school, but if anything we are just busier!!!

Evan has three days left of school. Wednesday will mark his last day of his first year of school. I spent three years prior worrying myself sick about his school placement, the teachers he would get, etc., etc., and this year has been nothing but a HUGE blessing. He got the perfect placement with the most amazing teachers and aide. They have loved Evan and he has learned SO much this year. We've been blessed! As if that wasn't already fantastic, I had heard our school district was going to start a class just for children with autism. It was going to be a small class (just eight students) and was going to incorporate the curriculum Evan was already using and doing SO well with. The class was approved, and they are putting the class at Evan's neighborhood school!!! No more three hour commute every single day. Evan will be going to his home zoned school next year to a placement I think is perfect for him. I will miss the teachers he has this year, but I know they have prepared him to move on. I just can't believe out of all the schools, in the district they picked Evan's neighborhood school!!! We are so excited and SO incredibly thankful!

This summer Evan will go to A-Camp (An Awesome Camp for Kids with Autism). It is the first year for the camp that two moms have worked tirelessly to make a reality. Seven kiddos with autism (most of them we already know) will spend Monday thru Friday together just having FUN! Evan has worked so hard since age two. It is about time for some F-U-N! They will have theme weeks and lots of activities and play. My biggest hope for his time at A-Camp (in addition to the fun) is for Evan to develop friendships. That is a hard thing with autism...most of them don't really care to form those kind of relationships. I want that so badly for him.

Our summer will be busy because in addition to camp, he is going to another academic program and we still have to fit in speech and occupational therapies and swimming lessons. Other than that, my plan is for LOTS of time at HOME!

I hosted Bunco last night. It was my first time to host and I had so much fun planning it. Since it was Cinco de Mayo month, I went with a Mexican theme. We had chicken enchiladas, salad, corn dip and cheese dip. I also got the cutest "fiesta" decorations at Party City. We have the best mommy group in my little town. I have formed some great friendships!

I love my sister's corn dip. Here is the recipe. It is so easy and is SO yummy served with Fritos.


Corn Dip

2 cans whole kernel corn
1 bunch green onion
1/4 C chopped pickeled jalepenos
8 oz sour cream
1 C mayonaise
1 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs Accent
12 oz grated cheddar cheese

Just mix all together and chill before serving. It's delish!

Derek and the kids didn't get home until 10:00 last night since they had to hide out while I had Bunco, we all decided to sleep in this morning. Evan was so excited this morning not to have to go to school. We spent the morning at the park with some friends and then went to lunch. The weather is so beautiful and we had such a great time. I got some cute pics of the kidlets while we were there.

As soon as we were out of the car, Evan was running to the slide.

Could he BE any cuter? I just don't think so!

Ella Grace climbed to the top herself but then was too scared to slide down without a little help.

Not scared of anything!

Walking to the bridge to see the "chocolate water" as EG called it. It really was rather murky. When I took this picture, she was yelling, "Wait up guys!" She is getting SO big and talking SO big!

I love him!


I'm on the countdown until my cruise. I have been working out like a mad woman trying to get in shape. I have continued running after the run clinic ended. Tomorrow we run four miles for the first time. One of my friends is trying to convince me to run a 1/2 marathon that is coming up in October. She has us on a training schedule. I haven't completely committed to it, but I've been participating in the training, so we'll see what happens. I am enjoying it though. I have also been going to boot camp five days a week. We just finished up the first camp that was five weeks. I have lost a total of 9.5 inches and 8 lbs. I'm going to keep at it until we set sail. It has been some hard work but I have had the best time. It is so much easier for me when I know someone is counting on me to be there to work out or run. If it is left just up to me, it just won't happen.

The other big change for us will be in the Fall. I signed Ella Grace up for Mother's Day Out at our church. I thought I had actually decided she was not going to go, but she is SO ready and I think she really needs the social interaction. I decided to go by and visit. We got to go in the classroom and play on the playground for a bit. The best part of sitting in on the praise and worship time. Let me tell you it was PRECIOUS. These little ones were reciting memory verses and finishing parts of a Bible story. They were singing and doing hand motions to the song. I thought I might just pass out from all the sweetness! I decided it was a great fit for EG, so I signed her up. It was only confirmed when we were walking out the door and Ella said, "I had the best day!" We were only there two hours. Ha! I'm a little sad, but it will be so good for her, and it's only one day. Right???

She has also graduated to big hair bows. I just packed up all of the little ones to give to a friend. =( They are just growing up too fast!

Anyway, that's what we've been up to. I've missed all of you and look forward to catching up on blogs hopefully this weekend. Hope you and yours and doing well. =)

9 comments:

Kelly said...

That is awesome news about Evan's school!!!! What an answer to prayer!!! And the same goes for his camp!!!!!
Ya'll are the cutest family ever

Traci said...

First of all, you look great!! Secondly, I am glad that Evan is going to have fun with friends this summer- I SO know what you mean about wanting that for him. Lastly, EG is going to LOVE Mother's Day Out. Kylie learned so much from it while we were in Texas. They had chapel every morning and she formed some great friends while she was there!

Can't wait to see your pool!

Betsy said...

I have missed you, Leigh Ann!! You sound like you've been as busy as I have! I am so happy for you with Evan's school situation. That is just a God thing, isn't it??!! And Ella Grace is just precious in her big hair bows. What a sweetie pie. She is going to love Mother's Day Out!! And it sounds like she is going to learn so much about God and the Bible, too. It couldn't be more perfect. Happy Day!!

His Doorkeeper said...

If that class being located so close to you all is not a God thing, nothing is!! How awesome!

EG will do great at MDO and it will be great for you!
Kelly went to MDO and she loved it!

Have a great time on your cruise! Relax and enjoy yourself, you hear??

Blessings!

Kelley said...

That is great news about Evan's school. What a blessing. I have 3 friends who send their children to Mother's Day Out and they love it. The girls have so much fun and have learned so much. It was a wonderful experience.

Marci @All Things Wonderful said...

Congrats on the running and weight loss! That's awesome. I love the photos in the park...what a great day.

Jacquie said...

Sounds like things are hopping at your house. Good for you on your workout efforts and success!! I'm rootin' for ya!!

How's the pool coming along?

Megan L Hutchings said...

SERIOUSLY??? I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU, FOR YOUR FAMILY, AND FOR ALL OF THE BLESSINGS GOD IS SURROUNDING YOU WITH :)!

This is the best news for Evan. Things have definitely come a long way in the past few years, and I just know God's hands have been a part of it all!!!

So jealous of all those getting to spend time with you. I can't wait to make an AR visit...perhaps soon?

Jenna said...

I always love an update on the happenenings of the Horton's! So awesome about Evan! Your sweet family just makes me smile!