Wednesday, December 26, 2007

My Favorite Christmas Present

This year, my favorite Christmas present is not material. I am so thankful and blessed to have Derek home this year. He spent 15 months in Iraq as a helicopter pilot, flying Medevac missions in a Blackhawk. Last year was so bittersweet to me, as I was happy to share Ella's first Christmas with her, but I was sad that Derek was missing it and was so far away from home. This year has been very special. I have loved every aspect of Christmas this year. We have had the best time shopping for the kids, baking goodies, playing with the kids, and just being together. As happy as I am, there is still sadness in my heart for Wendy W., Wendy T., and Doris. They lost their loved ones in a helicopter crash in January while bravely serving in Iraq. They were all good friends of Derek's, and I know this season has had to be very difficult for them and their families. I pray for peace for them and all of the other families that have had to go through Christmas without their loved ones.


Derek, we are so happy you are home!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm so glad Derek is home too. But I am very proud of him for serving. We owe our freedom to wonderful men like him!

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh...I can't even imagine what those women must go through daily. I'm so glad he is home too!