Thursday, July 2, 2009

Happy Anniversary!

I can't believe today marks 15 years to the day I married "the boy from church." What a lucky girl I am. We have had the normal ups and downs of life, but I can honestly say even on the down days it is a joy to be Derek's wife, and, for the most part, being married to him is just plain easy! He makes it easy though. =)

I like thinking about our wedding day back on July 2, 1994. It was blue skies and hot as all get out, but I remember us planning to get married as soon as possible and that was the first opportunity. Now, it is so great that our anniversary always falls near a holiday. We usually go somewhere special like Destin, but this year Derek is out of town. Whaaa! It makes me sad we won't be together, but it will be okay. We'll celebrate by going to dinner when he gets home. My very sweet friend, Heather, brought over a magazine, the movie "Sense and Sensibility" (I've never seen it) and a yummy chocolate dessert for one for me to enjoy tonight! I'm looking forward to getting the kidlets in bed and enjoying all my treats!

I loved my wedding dress. I never got it sealed (or whatever you call it). Gasp! I don't much think Ella Grace will want to wear it one day anyway. I loved the princess style of the dress with all the tousle and sparkles. It was my dream dress I wore to marry my dream man. I actually got it out last night and was a little sad that some of the sequins had started to turn yellow. It's still as pretty as I remember though.


Ella Grace couldn't wait to get her hands on my veil (aka "the anniversary hat")!



I still have the copy the pastor that married us gave me for our wedding vows. They weren't the traditional vows. They were a little different. I like them because they were based on "the fruit of the spirit" and were a little different. The verbiage seemed more like real life to me. For all you OBU friends, Dr. Buckalew married us. I just loved him!

We went to Disney World for our anniversary and had the best time. Most of the pictures I have are of him or me alone because the other was taking the picture (with the Kodak disc camera...remember those...ha). I think this is the only one I have of us together.

We were just babies...in our high waisted shorts. Ha!


Happy Anniversary, Der Bear! Now, come home already!

20 comments:

julie & joe said...

We went to Disnet World for our honeymoon too. We bought Maicky and Minnie bride and groom ears! Wore them all day one day....it was so fun!

Laurie said...

Happy Anniversary! I loved Dr Buckelew!!!!!!! EG looks so cute!

Jodee said...

Happy Anniversary!

Tracy said...

Happy Anniversary LAH and Derek! Doesn't it seem like just yesterday?

Betsy said...

You looked so pretty on your wedding day, Leigh Ann! I loved your dress. I never got mine sealed either and now it has a big yellow spot on it. :(

Your friend Heather was so sweet to bring you special treats for your anniversary. I hope it's a good one and that Derek gets home soon. That will be the best anniversary gift of all, right??

Kelley said...

Happy Anniversary! Your pictures are beautiful! I thought it was precious that you let your little one play with your veil! I didn't get my dress sealed either. You were a beautiful bride!

His Doorkeeper said...

Oh i love seeing those fresh young so-in-love faces! Ya'll were (and are) a beautiful couple!

Happy Anniversary! And Many More to come!

EG looks like a princess in your veil!

Megan said...

Beautiful bride. I was hoping for another picture of you in the birthday veil, but EG looks cute in it. Dr. Buckelew was a dear, sweet person.

Adirondackcountrygal said...

Aww happy Anniversary! I'm so glad your marriage is good and strong.

Meredith said...

Happy Anniversary! Hope ya'll have a great day! Disney World is a great place for a honeymoon! :)

Faith said...

Happy Anniversary you two!!! I just love that last picture of y'all. And my word, how precious does EG look in that veil?

Hope y'all have a great 4th!!

Jacquie said...

Happy Anniversary!! Today is also mine and Dave's (26th) anniversary! Aren't we special??

Have you taken your kids to Disney World yet?? It will mean so much to you to share that with them someday. I "grew up" at Disneyland (California) and was SO happy to take the boys to Disney World when they were in 3rd and 5th grades. It wasn't EXACTLY the same, but it was so neat to get to see them experience something that was so special to me as a child

Hope the time passes quickly til D gets home!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

I didnt' know Dr Buckelew very well, but his sweet wife was a dear friend in Arkadelphia. She was our MOPS sponsor and was such an encouragement to me!

And Sense and Sensibility is one of my favorite movies EVER. I hope you love it too!

Kelly said...

Ya'll were just babies - and you were beautiful on your wedding day! I can't believe it's been 15 years!!!!!
And I love your wedding vows! Ya'll are so perfect together! I wish I could live near you - I would come hang out once Harper was in bed! ha!

Ang said...

Happy Anniversary!

Becky said...

Happy Anniversary Leigh Ann!!!! EG looks adorable in the "Anniversary Hat". lol

In His Army said...

It was so fun looking at all your pictures! Happy (belated) anniversary. EG is a doll in that "anniversary hat"!

Meagan said...

I love this post! Happy Anniversary! I also love your vows... I clicked on the picture to enlarge them and read them - so neat! :-)

Megan L Hutchings said...

You two are the sweetest couple and such a wonderful example of a loving marriage. I read your vows and just loved them...so, so sweet and real.

I hope you enjoyed your quiet night but I know you are looking forward to Derek coming home!

Lauren said...

Holy mother of dirt!! Do you remember when y'all were here for the walk and I told Derek that he looked so much like Col. Brandon in Sense and Sensibility and that I thought he was so handsome??!! Do you? You have to watch the movie again and make sure you tell Derek he could be a movie star!

I love the high-waisted shorts! :)